Today’s selection of articles:
- “Slavery ensnares thousands in U.K. Here’s one teenage girl’s story“, by Ceylan Yeginsu (NY Times). Read this. Then open your eyes to the people around you.
- “When unpaid student loan bills mean you can no longer work“, by Jessica Silver-Greenberg, Stacy Cowley, & Natalie Kitroeff (NY Times). Debtor’s prisons didn’t make sense centuries ago. They still don’t make sense now.
- “In China, an education in dating“, by Sui-Lee Wee (NY Times). Where to start?
In the first hour, Zhang Mindong proclaimed them sartorial disasters. Most of the first day was devoted to improving dress. (“Narrow collars, sleeves should be folded up above the elbow and trousers should be fitted.”) They bought clothes and got haircuts.
- “Mike and Nathaniel’s week in tech: Everybody loves bitcoin“, by Mike Isaac & Nathaniel Popper (NY Times).
- “What you need to know about the new ID law and travel“, by Shivani Vora (NY Times).