Read — 2012/08/18
Today’s selection of articles includes:
- “Panic Seizes India as a Region’s Strife Radiates“, by Jim Yardley (NY Times). A saddening account of fear, panic, and shattered lives in the fallout from a land- and power-struggle between Muslims and Bodo in the northeastern Indian state of Assam.
- “The Pill for Men“, by L.R. (The Economist). A report on a new drug JQ1 that reduces sperm count by 90%, hamstrings the other 10%, and appears to be fully reversible.
- “The Award for Nerdiest Preposition Goes To…“, by L.R.G. (The Economist). Modular arithmetic gets its heyday, modulo the focus field of publication.
- “Location, Location, Location” (The Economist). A neat interactive chart that allows comparison of housing prices across several countries.
- “Bell Weather” (The Economist). A review of a recent Proceedings article whose data strongly suggest that heatwaves are becoming more common. From the August 11 print edition (may need subscription to access).