Read — 2012/08/18

by shwolff

Today’s selection of articles includes:

  1. Panic Seizes India as a Region’s Strife Radiates“, by Jim Yardley (NY Times). A saddening account of fear, panic, and shattered lives in the fallout from a land- and power-struggle between Muslims and Bodo in the northeastern Indian state of Assam.
  2. The Pill for Men“, by L.R. (The Economist). A report on a new drug JQ1 that reduces sperm count by 90%, hamstrings the other 10%, and appears to be fully reversible.
  3. The Award for Nerdiest Preposition Goes To…“, by L.R.G. (The Economist). Modular arithmetic gets its heyday, modulo the focus field of publication.
  4. Location, Location, Location” (The Economist). A neat interactive chart that allows comparison of housing prices across several countries.
  5. Bell Weather” (The Economist). A review of a recent Proceedings article whose data strongly suggest that heatwaves are becoming more common. From the August 11 print edition (may need subscription to access).
Advertisements