Today’s selection of articles includes:
- “Q. and A.: A Decisive Moment on Gay Marriage“, by Adam Liptak (NY Times). An accessible summary of Hollingsworth v. Perry, the case contesting the constitutionality of California’s Proposition 8 to be argued before the Supreme Court today.
- “Now in Defense of Gay Marriage, Bill Clinton“, by Peter Baker (NY Times). How Bill Clinton went from signing the Defense of Marriage Act in 1996 to publicly supporting same-sex marriage in 2013.
- “Companies Get Strict on Health of Workers“, by Katie Thomas (NY Times). The carrot and the stick, as applied to company health care. But do such workplace wellness programs help change behavior or just reinforce it?
- “Massachusetts Plan Starts Small for Big Upgrade to Rail System“, by Katharine Q. Seelye (NY Times).
- “He Has Millions and a New Job at Yahoo. Soon, He’ll Be 18.“, by Brian Stelter (NY Times). An article on Nick D’Aloisio, a British high-school student who developed an algorithm that summarizes long texts.
- “Voices in the Wilderness“, by C.S.-M. (The Economist). Young Chinese authors are increasingly taking their literature to the web.
- “The Theology of Self-Destruction“, by B.C. (The Economist). Contemplating the incentives and impact of religious suicide.