Read — 2017/06/22
Today’s selection of articles:
- “The 500-page proof that only one mathematician can understand“, by Michael Byrne (Motherboard). An article on the state of the abc conjecture. Naturally slips down the slope of the “proof — for whom?” question.
- “Why a top mathematician has joined Emmanuel Macron’s revolution“, by Elisabeth Pain (Science). Fields medalist Cédric Villani leaves his post as director of the Institut Henri Poincaré to represent En Marche! in France’s National Assembly.
- “What is a generalised mean-curvature flow?“, by Hui Yu (AMS). In case you’re ever stopped on the street and asked such a question.
- “What causes a fever?“, by Peter Nalin (Scientific American). Answer: Often, the hypothalamus responding to pyrogens. That is, your immune system fighting off intruders.
- “French sign Reich truce, Rome Pact next“, by Guido Enderis (NY Times, 22 June 1940).