Read : 2020-01-27
Today’s selection of articles:
- “A survivor’s diary emerges from Auschwitz” by Bojan Pancevski (Wall Street Journal, 2020-01-24).
- “Auschwitz survivors warn of rising anti-Semitism 75 years on” by Vanessa Gera (Associated Press News, 2020-01-27).
- “What if competition isn’t as ‘natural’ as we think?” by John Favini (Slate, 2020-01-23).
- “Kobe Bryant’s brilliant and complicated legacy” by Marc Stein (NY Times, 2020-01-26).
- “Switch from your internet provider’s email to something better” by Whitson Gordon (NY Times, 2020-01-24). A how-to guide with recommendations.
- “These people really care about fonts” by Fabrice Robinet (NY Times, 2020-01-24). And so can you!
- “What if it were Obama on trial?” by Nicholas Kristof (NY Times, 2020-01-25).
- “Your inability to do pullups is all in your head” by Christie Aschwanden (Medium, 2020-01-22). OK, actually, it isn’t, until it is. This article includes links to Marine Lt. Col. Misty Posey’s pull-up manifesto and pull-up training guide.
Technique is important, Posey says. Grip the bar tightly with your pinkie knuckle over the top of the bar. Tuck in your pelvis, and keep your abs tight. Pull your arms down into your shoulder sockets, and keep your shoulders down (the opposite of shrugging). Hang your legs straight, and keep your head neutral. As you begin the exercise, keep your abs and glutes tight, and concentrate on pulling your elbows to your ribs and your chin over the bar (don’t lift your chin up).
Two references related to investing (always do your own research!):
- “Blue Origin: Time for liftoff?” by Michael Wenner (EquityZen, 2020-01-24). Light on content.
- “Renewables to lead world energy usage by 2050: 3 stocks to buy” by Aparajita Dutta (Yahoo!Finance, 2020-01-14). Bloom Energy Corp (BE), JinkoSolar Holding (JKS), and Sunrun (RUN).