Marathon Training Plan : Boston (2019.04.15)
|Week 18 (1)||56|
|T||04 Dec||9||(VO2) 6 x 800 @ 0:78 w/ 3:00 rest||[18.T]|
|Week 17 (1)||55|
|T||11 Dec||8 + BM||(VO2) 2400 m @ 0:85
2 x 1200 m @ 0:84 w/ 1:00 R
4 x 600 m @ 0:80 w/ 1:00 R
|W||12 Dec||12||(D,LT) 2 x 15:00 @ HMP||[17.W]|
|F||14 Dec||9 + BM||(A)||[17.F]|
|S||15 Dec||16 + BM||(D) w/ 8 mi @ MP||[17.S]|
|Week 16 (1)||55|
|T||18 Dec||8||(VO2) 2 x (5 x 400 m) @ 0:73 – 0:75 w/ 0:75 rest; 400 m jog btw sets||[16.T]|
|Week 15 (1)||58|
|R||27 Dec||9||(VO2) 5 x 1000 m @ 0:76 – 0:78 w/ 3:00 btw||[15.R]|
|F||28 Dec||5 + BM||(R)||[15.F]|
|S||29 Dec||15 + BM||(D)||[15.S]|
|Week 14 (1)||62|
|T||01 Jan||14 + BM||(D)||[14.T]|
|R||03 Jan||9 + BM||(VO2) Pyramid: 3,6,10,12 w/ 1:00 btw; target 0:02 windows building from 0:78||[14.R]|
|S||05 Jan||18 + BM||(D)||[14.S]|
|Week 13 (1)||63|
|T||08 Jan||9||(VO2) 4 x (600 m @ 78, 0:30 rest, 200 m @ 35, 400m recovery)||[13.T]|
|F||11 Jan||12 + BM||(D)||[13.F]|
|S||12 Jan||18 + BM||(D) w/ 10 mi @ MP||[13.S]|
|Week 12 (1)||55|
|T||15 Jan||8 + BM||(VO2) 1600 @ 78 – 80, 800 @ 76 – 78, 1600 @ 78 – 80; 4:00 rest between each||[12.T]|
|S||19 Jan||15 + BM||(D)||[12.S]|
|Week 11 (2)||68|
|M||21 Jan||14 + BM||(D)||[11.M]|
|T||22 Jan||7||(VO2) 3 x 800 m @ 77 w 0:45 rest; 400 m easy; 3 x 600 m @ 75 w 0:45 rest; 400 m easy; 3 x 300 m @ 50 w 0:45 rest||[11.T]|
|W||23 Jan||5 + BM||(R)||[11.W]|
|R||24 Jan||10||(LT) 2 x (2.5 mi @ < HMP, 1 mi @ MP)||[11.R]|
|Week 10 (2)||61|
|T||29 Jan||4 + 6 + BM||(R) 4 a.m. + 6 p.m.
3 x (600 m, 0:90 rest, 400 m, 0:60 rest, 200 m), all at 0:70 – 0:72 per 400 m, 400 m jog btw sets
|W||30 Jan||14 + BM||(D)||[10.W]|
|Week 09 (2)||67|
|M||04 Feb||6 + 4||(R) 6 mi a.m. + 4 mi p.m.||[09.M]|
|T||05 Feb||13 ± BM||(D + VO2) 2000 m @ 80, 5:00 rest; 1000 m @ 78, 3:00 rest; 500 m @ 76||[09.T]|
|R||07 Feb||15 + BM||(D)||[09.R]|
|F||08 Feb||7||(R) w 6 x 100 m strides||[09.F]|
|S||09 Feb||16 – BM||(D) 12 mi @ MP||[09.S]|
|Week 08 (2)||58|
|T||12 Feb||9||(VO2) 2 x 1200 m @ 0:80; 2 x 800 m @ 0:78; 2 x 400 m @ 0:76; 0:45 btw reps, 400 m jog btw sets||[08.T]|
|F||15 Feb||8||(A) w 10 x 100 m strides||[08.F]|
|S||16 Feb||15 + BM||(D)||[08.S]|
|Week 07 (2)||71|
|M||18 Feb||15 + BM||(D)||[07.M]|
|T||19 Feb||4 + 6||(R/VO2) 4 mi a.m. + 6 mi p.m.
P.m. : 16 x 200 m @ 0:34 – 0:35 w/ equal rest
|R||21 Feb||12 + BM||(LT) 7 mi @ HMP||[07.R]|
|S||23 Feb||6||(TU) 10 km race||[07.S]|
|N||24 Feb||22||(D) 3 x 1 mi @ MP||[07.N]|
|Week 06 (3)||68|
|T||26 Feb||9||(VO2) 800 m @ 0:69 – 0:71; 3:00 rest; 1600 m @ 0:73 – 0:75; 3:00 rest; 800 @ 0:69 – 0:71||[06.T]|
|R||28 Feb||6 + 4||(R) A.m. : w/ 6 x 100 m||[06.R]|
|Week 05 (3)||68|
|M||04 Mar||6 + 4||(R)||[05.M]|
|T||05 Mar||10||(VO2) 1 x 2400 m @ 0:80 – 0:84, 400 m easy, 2 x 1200 m @ 0:78 – 0:84 w 0:60 rest, 400 m easy, 4 x 600 m @ 0:76 – 0:84 w 0:45 rest||[05.T]|
|W||06 Mar||15 – BM||(D)||[05.W]|
|F||08 Mar||10 + BM||(TU) 6 mi @ HMP||[05.F]|
|Week 04 (3)||62|
|M||11 Mar||6||(R) 6 x 100 m||[04.M]|
|T||12 Mar||9||(VO2) 5 x 600 m @ 5kP (0:80) w 1:00 rest; BONUS 6 x 200 m w 0:45 rest||[04.T]|
|S||16 Mar||20||(TU) w/ 14 @ MP||[04.S]|
|Week 03 (3)||68|
|T||19 Mar||11||(VO2) 5 x 1000 m @ 0:74 – 0:76 w 3:00 rest btw||[03.T]|
|R||21 Mar||4 + 6||(R) + (A)||[03.R]|
|F||22 Mar||8||(R) w 8 x 100 m||[03.F]|
|Week 02 (4)||56|
|M||25 Mar||7||(R) 8 x 100 m||[02.M]|
|T||26 Mar||10||(VO2) 3-6-10-12-12-10-6-3 x 100, w 1:30 rest btw (3:00 rest btw 1200s)||[02.T]|
|S||30 Mar||0||(R) But BB||[02.S]|
|Week 01 (4)||43|
|M||01 Apr||7||(A) 8 x 100 m||[01.M]|
|T||02 Apr||8 + BM||(VO2) 8 x 800 m @ 0:77 – 0:79, w 2:00 rest||[01.T]|
|F||05 Apr||6||(R) 8 x 100 m||[01.F]|
|Week 00 (4)||32|
|T||09 Apr||7||(TU) 3 mi @ MP – 0:10, w 1:00 btw||[00.T]|
|F||12 Apr||5||(R) 6 x 100 m||[00.F]|
|Week -1 (5)||marathon + 6|
|M||15 Apr||26.2||Race day!||[-1.M]|
|(Recovery continues under Marathon Training Plan : M2B (2019.05.26))|
|2||Lactate threshold, endurance|
|4||Taper and race|
|BM||Badger miles (toward NordicTrack Team)|
Tuesday weight routine
- Seated upright bicep press
- Lat pull-down + Row pull
- Forearm extension
- Lat pull-outs (toward back)
- Hip abductor + Hip adductor
Sunday weight routine
- Bicep curls + Tricep dips
- Light squats
- Seated leg raises
- W 19 Dec : Moderate discomfort in right hamstring, especially along middle and lower inside of right leg, during second half of a.m. run and after. Ease of motion, noticeably forward and outward lifting of right leg and inward turning of right foot, affected immediately post run. Discomfort eased by afternoon.
- T 08 Jan : Significant discomfort in back upper right leg, especially along inner tendon just above knee. No pain while running; significant discomfort following periods of standing (e.g., post workout). Recommencing running made discomfort vanish while running persisted. Noticeably tender that night. Better but not 100% next morning. Hamstring tendonitis? (Symptoms not consistent with tendonosis. In particular, no tenderness around tendon.)
W 09 Jan : Right hamstring, especially lower inside behind knee, started complaining about 10 miles into run, especially after restroom stop. Coaxed into cooperating (mostly pain-free!) after half a mile running again. Stretched out post-run, but still noticeably sore after, though seemingly less than yesterday.
R 10 Jan : Right hamstring noticeably tight at beginning of run. No issues during run (5 mi, slow pace), even strided out a bit the last mile or so. Brief swim after; lower inside tendon of right hamstring felt different (in not a good way, but not a way that made me stop swimming either ;-). Mid-day, very mild soreness but no other issues.
F 11 Jan : Legs felt great first 7 miles of run; last 5 miles, right hamstring, especially lower inside behind knee, had short flares of discomfort. Discomfort did not persist more than 10 seconds at a time, maybe 10 – 20 flare-ups total. Walking affected post-run, but not scarily so. Elevation (currently, at night only; will try during day, too) seems to help; wake up each morning with right leg feeling better than previous day.
S 12 Jan : Right hamstring and quad, especially around knee, felt a little sore at beginning of run. After a mile or two into run, no issues. Hamstring felt great during pace work at end of run. Biked ~20 minutes before and after run — perhaps helped? Hamstring seems to be improving each day. Don’t get complacent with deliberate recovery.
T 22 Jan : Upper right hamstring presents noticeable pain after track workout. No pain during workout. Tough jog from track to gym. Pain reminiscent of 08 Jan.
R 24 Jan : Upper right hamstring sore (?) during run, but no pain. Soreness seems localized at top inside of leg just below glute. No pain walking after, just soreness when moving or stabilizing side-to-side.
F 25 Jan : Upper right hamstring not 100%, but nowhere near as noticeable as yesterday. (Almost surely due to difference in target paces.) The muscle is noticeably improving — there is no longer any pain or significant soreness at the start or end of any run (of any target speed), no discomfort in daily activity (e.g., stairs). I just wish the recovery would go faster. Patience. Acknowledge the lingering pain, remember what it feels like to run like this, better empathise with others in the future, and rejoice to run healthy when the time comes.
S 26 Jan : Upper right hamstring noticeable during second half of pace segment and return portion of run. Front of hips (both sides) sore last 4 miles; fine by evening and Sunday. Top of right foot sore post-run (shoelaces suspected), persisting into Sunday. Otherwise, A-OK! =P
T 29 Jan : No issues on a.m. run. No major issues during hard track workout, but mild tightness in right hamstring during starts toward end of workout, and could feel that power not present in legs. Right hamstring flared up about 2 miles into warm-down post-workout. Stretched out after run and before bed.
W 30 Jan : Slower distance run. Right hamstring noticeably tight upon starts, loosened up to “functional” ~30 seconds after restarting. Focus on keeping hips relaxed, open, then lengthen stride. No front hip issues after run.
R 31 Jan : Reduced mileage from 11 to 6 and nixed speed work in advance. Legs felt OK throughout run (~7:00 pace). Short swim after run. Right hamstring noticeable on wall push-offs when using leg buoy; loosened up when switched to fins.
F 01 Feb : Tight in upper muscles of both legs last evening. A.m. run at moderate pace, OK. Less tightness in right hamstring than on previous days, both immediately after run (stretching) and throughout day. Continue to moderate effort and monitor recovery.
M 04 Feb : Legs felt great during short a.m. and p.m. runs. Right hamstring felt untrustworthy for balancing during core work (e.g., raising either leg during side planks, raising left (!) leg during back bridges). Mild discomfort in right hamstring after walking (!!!) 1 mi at the end of the evening.
T 05 Feb : Able to push hard off wall during swim. Kicking hard also felt OK. Mild discomfort in right hamstring mid-morning. P.m. track workout felt great during and immediately after. Noticeable discomfort in right hamstring ~5 miles into post-track run (during wandering in the desert). Discomfort evaporated upon joining AC&J. Leisurely stretch post-run.
W 06 Feb : Great sleep, no alarm, right hamstring felt great upon awaking. General muscle fatigue early in day. (With up-tempo swim and run yesterday, what did you expect? =P) Faint feeling in right hamstring from early morning onward, not troubling.
M 11 Feb : Inside upper right hamstring felt “big” during last 2-3 miles of run. Post-run stretch felt mostly OK: still noticeable strain on stabilizing aspects of right hamstring, e.g., when lowering straightened right leg slowly to ground. No hamstring pain, no noticeable affect on gait during or after running.
T 12 Feb : Right leg OK during and after track workout, though still felt lack of power. Spoke w JG immediately post-workout. (My rough recollection follows.) Attempted to stimulate muscles in outer abs and outer upper leg. Suggested side-ab core muscles (used to rotate torso side-to-side) not engaged. Suggested pre-run warm-up: lie on side, top knee in front in runner’s pose, opposite hand under knee, drive hip forward; 6 x per side. My suggestion: incorporate medicine ball side-to-side or behind-the-back-pass.
W 13 Feb : Right hamstring felt good. Still feeling low on power, but not even faint off-feeling during or after run.
R 14 Feb : Right hamstring good during run, faint dull soreness persists. Felt like I could stride fully during run, but generating power (e.g., accelerating) noticeably affected. During swim immediately post-run, pushing off wall felt funny (though not painful) initially. Right hamstring seemed to relax as the swim went on, with almost no effect on turns by the end.
S 16 Feb : Right hamstring faintly dull at start of run; seemed to localize around inner upper portion of leg. Feeling faded from consciousness upon joining group (and picking up pace) at MP. Faint tightness but no pain during run. No noticeable worsening of right hamstring after run (cool!). Both quads seriously fatigued by end of run. Shoes? (Wore B L5.)
- N 24 Feb : Soreness morphed to pain in upper left leg. Awoke several times in sleep as pain coalesced. Left leg stiff in morning (mostly hamstring, mild quad), tender to turns. Right leg surprisingly chipper.
W 13 Mar : Momentary pang in upper right hamstring, by glute, on two separate occasions during first 6 miles of 14-mile run. Perhaps triggered by over-striding or turning foot inward or outward? Mild dullness in right hamstring last 2 miles. Did not notice any residual feeling in the afternoon.
- Go time! Fun time!^_^!
- Better track workout this week than last. Quads fatigued but not failing last two reps.
- Last couple miles, mild ache top of left foot when walking or stopped. No ache when running. Disappeared next day. Due to shoes? M WR20. Quads sore post run.
- Legs fresh. Yoga last evening helped?
- Afternoon run in moderate rain. Run felt good. Mild soreness in left hamstring post run.
- Early morning run. Felt fantastic throughout. Mild soreness in right hamstring in evening.
- BB sing-along to see another runner in the early morning chill of HP!^_^!
- Solid track session. Legs, esp quads and hamstrings, mildly but not overly fatigued.
- Another solid session. 2 15-minute up-tempo segments (~0:95 400s) around RU and HP; slower than target, but we’ll take it for now. Mild pain along top of L foot during end of run, similar sensation along top of R foot after run. Both vanished by late afternoon. Shout-out from former UH CC MI during warm-down.
- Easy run around HP. Legs felt really good. Sensation along top of feet returned after run (during run, nothing).
- Relatively easy run around RU.
- Warm-up to MP. MP along TCJ-WOB and back. Legs, especially quads, fatigued by turnoff to BB. Easy warm-down. No upper foot issues during or after run (wore M WR20).
- Easy a.m. run in HP. Core workout in p.m.
- Moderate weights in a.m. Solid track workout in p.m. All 400s 72 – 74 (L2). BM during warm-down. Noticeable fatigue post-run.
- Lightly rainy a.m. run RU-HP. HP at 6:35 – 6:40 for 15:00 (an effort this morning!). Rest of run around 7:15. Moderate discomfort in R hamstring (see injury report above).
- Easy a.m. run RU-HP. Legs heavy but no hamstring issues during run. Hamstring soreness returned in afternoon.
- Easy a.m. run RU-HP. Legs felt great. Surprising flares (spasms?) in right lower inside hamstring during middle of run. Legs fine in p.m.
- Mild push w Coach V through M, then pick-ups (1-2-3-4-5-4 min w equal rest) w Gordo along BB.
- 2 x BB. Felt strong during middle half.
- Early a.m. run through 2 neighborhoods then FJH. Merry Christmas!
- First easy run EM-RU.
- Track work at RU. 5 x 1000 m @ 3:16, 3:16, 3:16 (yargh!!!), 3:13, 3:09 (hey!). Slightly warm. Fatigued after.
- Easy run around RU.
- Easy run to MP. ~13 mi @ 6:10 – 6:20 w CR. (Watch out Houston: This lady is ready to race!) Tried a Gu (tastes like the inside of a NutriGrain fruit bar); energy solid during run, stomach liquid after. No muscle or tendon pain in legs post run =)
- Neighbourhoods + FJHS.
- 2 x FJHS.
- 5 x HSH. Evening run. Pouring rain. Depressed corners by library and fire station.
- Late-night track workout at FJHS. 300 @ 1:02 ; 600 @ 1:58 ; 1000 @ 3:30 (spot on!) ; 1200 @ 5:44 (turns out, actually a 1600…running clueless!>.<! at upper bound of target range, for 1600) ; 1000 @ 3:30 (again!) ; 600 @ 2:02 (what?!) ; 300 @ 0:58 (finish strong!).
- Easy mid-day run HSH + SP.
- FJHS + 4 x SP + FJHS. Felt somewhat heavy and not fast. Second FJHS loop mentally tiring. But…made it! And soaked up some vibrant colours along the way =)
- First run back in town. Mid-day run in HP. Flowing.
- Track times : 2:02,0:36 ; 1:56,0:35 ; 1:54,0:35 ; 1:52,0:34. Moderate issues in upper right leg (see injury report).
- Evening run : 3 + ε x RU, 1 x HP, 1 – ε RU. Rough. GI rumblings, locked restrooms, and hamstring woes. Finished and stretched out.
- Bona fide recovery run, HP.
- 2 + ε x RU + 2 x HP. Easy to moderate pace. Smooth first 7. Hamstring flares last 5.
- RO (11 mi) w HH, last bit @ 6:30 – 6:45, followed by 2+2/3 x MP (8 mi) @ 6:15 – 6:30. Pace segment felt good. No leg flare-ups! Perhaps pre- and post-bike to and from MP helped?
- Biceps, triceps, hips, crunches, swimming (with the dolphins).
- I don’t remember too much about this run (written two days later). I think my upper right leg gave me noticeable signals but was not inhibitory.
- A.m. weights (upper body + hips). P.m. track workout. 1600 @ 5:09 ; 800 @ 2:29 ; 1600 @ 5:10. *whew!* Props to VI, JF, and LY for pulling me through this workout!
- 8h. (2 + ε) x RU + 1 x HP + (1 – ε) RU. Upper right leg somewhat tender but acceptable during run (maintained average 7:30 mile pace); mild issues walking later in the day.
- HP. 1ère BW sighting! R upper leg OK, R calf mildly tight.
- (1 + ε) x RU + 1 x HP + (1 – ε) x RU + 1 mi inner loop. First run in about two weeks where my right hamstring felt like a hamstring, which is to say, I didn’t consciously feel it.
- HSH -> (2 + ε) x MP -> HSH. 6 mi in MP @ MP + ε (40 min – ε). (WIND!) BB + UH, chat w RU pair. Good run. No muscle issues.
- Houston marathon! Go team!!! (And how they went!!!)
(Very mild muscle discomfort in R leg, calf and hamstring. Seriously? Go away. You are not welcome here.)
- Reprise of Saturday’s workout. HSH -> 2 x MP -> HSH. 6 mi in MP @ MP (haha MP @ MP =P 39 min – ε). Nice! Right leg felt fine all over. Side of hips ached in afternoon.
- A.m. weights (upper body + hips). (N.B. Hip abductor and adductor workouts co-locate with recent muscle upper-inner hamstring and outer hip soreness. Causality? Would working out these muscles help prevent future injury?) Brief swim post weights. P.m. track workout. 800s, 600s felt great; upper R leg muscles had no push on 300s. Pain (similar to first week of injury) in R hamstring post-workout. Boo.
- Easy p.m. run w QAF & Co.
- A.m. workout in HP. High on UH, low on speed. Times slow to marked distances. 2.4-mi segments: 15:03, 15:12. 1-mi segments: backed off MP. R hamstring had no pain but again no push.
Consider backing off intensity but not volume next few days.
- Solid run, relatively easy pace. 2 x RU + 2 x HP. R hammy not 100%; no pain, only noticeable influence on acceleration (e.g., restarting, turns). Handful o’ UH + JF toward end. Convo on running club culture and marketplace.
- Go BB! (Crushed it.)
HSH -> (MP) -> RO -> (MP) -> HSH. Body fine to MP; RO at MP, first half OK, upper R hamstring mild soreness at water stop. OK once running again, but MP -> HSH tough. Front of hips (both legs) sore. Made it =)
- Light weights (N weight routine). Moderate swim after. Fun chat w SH.
- Shuffled workouts in hopes of aiding recovery. Before : M 6 + 4, T 14, W 5, R 11 (w LT workout), F 6, S 20. After : As above.
- A.m. run fine. Track workout tough, but legs held up OK; 600 m times tracked up (1:47, 1:50, 1:53), pushed through. R hamstring flared up on warm-down around RU post-workout.
- 3 x RU + 2 x HP. R hamstring tight on starts. Not pretty, not fast, but not cut. Good job listening to body and easing up to cruising speed.
- 2 x RU around 7:00 pace. Felt OK. No stops, so no start-up tightness (“beautiful legs” x 2 😉
- 2 x RU. Moderate pace. Smooth movement during and after workout. Right hamstring still not 100%.
- HSH -> MP -> BB(Sab) -> MP -> HSH. Upper leg muscles felt slightly stiff at first, fine by MP. 10-mile segment along BB great; rumored HSH tough: Slow shuffle, upper legs (both) tight, especially quads; surprisingly, right hamstring A-OK. Upper legs have no issues with walking, stairs by early afternoon. Perhaps body’s response to new shoes causing different muscle balance? Top left of right knee still tender =/ but not noticeable when running =)
- Super Bowl LIII. Boycott? (Go Pats!)
- A.m. : 2 x RU. Legs fine. Faint abnormal feeling in upper right hamstring. P.m. : HP. Legs still fine. Core work after run.
- A.m. swim : Pushed a bit 4 x 100 m free + 2 x 100 m back. P.m : 2000 m @ 6:25; 1000 m @ 3:08; 500 m @ 1:25. Lost in quartiers post DO split; directions from stranger, drafting off AC&J.
- Slept well. P.m. run 2 x RU; 1st x w JF,GB. Legs felt great.
- 2 x RU + 3 x HP + 1 x RU. “Good morning. Good form!” Faster 800s slightly slow (3:05 – 3:10 vs target 3:00). Slow, mildly sore warm-down. “Just like that” — now it’s cold.
- 2 x RU. 2 x dream team GSA ladies.
- Hill training @ UTA, CR, LBL. Slept like garbage sauce. Cold, light rain. Wore watch, but no times. Body OK first half of run, sore second half. Pace felt OK until return streets, then slowed noticeably.
- These boots were made for walkin’…
- RU + HP + RU. First half of run felt glorious — oh, to run smooth and free! Dialed pace back slightly second half. Inside upper right hamstring felt big for final 2-3 miles.
- Track workout solid, though legs (R esp) still lack power. 1200s @ ~3:55. 800s @ low 2:30s. 400s @ 71, 70.
- RU + HP. Recovery run. First 2.5 mi w MA.
- 2 x RU + 2 x HP. Good run. Right leg not 100% but not present, could just go. UHL in HP. Shake-out swim post-run w JF,MA,GC.
- RU + 2 x HP. Easy run. Alternating 150 m strides – 250 m easy during second loop HP.
- HSH -> MP -> BB(UHD) -> H -> HSH. w AC (Mr BM himself! I should have known what would happen…). Stable run to MP, good clip along BB, felt fatigue setting in midway w AC (dehydration at play?), acknowledged and pushed on. Legs, esp quads, fatigued by end of run (shoes? B L5). Very happy with at-pace portion of run. No noticeable complaint from right hamstring after (beyond what it was doing during) run.
- Early p.m. run. 2 x RU + 2 x HP + 1 x RU. Moderate pace miles 2 – 12. Right hamstring still not 100%; mild ache at end, after run, especially at top inside. E in @ RR : “I just started…very pretty form…I want to look like that”.
- A.m. : RU + RU.IL; “use no words” @ VI; P.m. : First track workout since Jan where I felt great start to finish. No hamstring presence, able to push on 200s, very happy. Bonus laps with Co W (2x) and J (4x). Addendum : Quads felt shredded W & R…
- 2 x RU.
- 2 x RU + 2 x HP. Legs felt heavy; test 400 m, 800 m @ 0:95 – 0:105.
- Unscheduled off day. Given difficulties in yesterday’s run and race tomorrow, felt off day better than scheduled 5 mi easy.
- 10k in 36:04. Easy bike before and after. RIP spur. Swim in p.m.
- (3 + ε) x RU + 2 x HP + (2 + ε) x RU. First 6 mi w RI. 3 x 1 mi @ 6:15 w MAM in HP. Coach M (w boo?!) coming up on-ramp along BB. Quads fatigued at end of run, mild discomfort on front of hips, hamstrings seem OK.
- Posted workout replaced Pfitz’s 5 x 600 m @ 5kP. Actual workout, replaced first 800 m w 3 x 400 @ 0:76. Grueling workout physically. Pouring rain. 400s felt smooth. 1600 was nearly all-out for 5:12. Straight to SdB for the rest. Legs fatigued for 800, managed exactly half the mile time for exactly half the distance =P Splashing through the standing water on the track with the other guys on the first lap of the 800 dear.
- Repeat after me: Never will I run seriously immediately after eating a full meal… P.m. run after dinner. (5 + ε) x RU. Forced pit stop after lap 3. Legs exhausted by end.
- A.m. : RU + HP. Legs OK. Strides at end of run, felt smooth. P.m. : Between MC and TA. Legs felt fresh, almost. Pace was brisker than recovery, but no regret — I felt good.
- (1 + ε) x RU + 2 x HP + (1 + ε) RU. Late a.m. start. Felt OK throughout. Focus on keeping lower back, glutes engaged. No comments from hamstring. UH dimer on lap 2 in HP.
- HSH -> MP -> (1 + ε) x BB + 5k -> HSH. Fun morning! Find people at MP, then get ditched immediately! Then get jumped a few miles later by EO =P Brief pause to register for 5k (@ AIG), then BB (EB to S and bonus). 5k went really well: EO angels on the shoulder warning me about injury following races at the end of long runs, so kept breathing smooth throughout. Legs, body felt great, lower back strong, no hamstring nothings. Elated to be running smooth again! 18:26.8.
- 2 x 5:00 rowing @ moderate pace. Light weights.
- ? Probably 2 x RU (a.m.) and RU + RUIL (p.m.). Vague memory of striding out final 300 m of RUIL (and getting called out by AJ the following day).
- Training plan originally called for 6 x 1000 m @ 5kP; replaced by workout shown above. Daunted when I first saw the new workout. QAF waived it off: “Your 5kP is faster.” Trust yourself at workouts (at least, see how the first few laps go).
- Mid-p.m. run, btw Brauer and surprise job talk.
- Mid-p.m. run. RU + 2 x HP + RU. In HP, 2 x (1.5 mi @ 6:05 – 6:10, 1 mi @ moderate). Then track, 2 x 400 @ 0:76, followed by some easy laps.
- HSH -> MP -> RO -> MP -> HSH. Ran into, with QAF en route. Brisk start w JL. Stuffed by train. Group kept pace moving. I tried to keep things smooth and happy; felt good, working but not too hard. Quads fatigued on return: BB along BB, sitting on ground could not raise left leg when fully extended. Moderate strength exercises to address? Could raise extended legs (though not effortlessly) in evening, next morning.
- Rest day. Spring forward!
- 2 x RU. All systems go.
- A.m. : Light weights (biceps, triceps, crunches), easy swim (~1000 m). P.m. : 600s (w DOC) all in range 1:54 – 1:56. 200s (w Coach gC and entourage) estimated in range 0:35 – 0:37. Pre-track run pt 1 (solo), Q moment along M St: screams from passing car followed by dubious “Him?!” upon passing couple just ahead. Pre-track run pt 2 (w QAF). Pre-track run pt 3 (w DR) on track. Post-track run w J, end solo.
- Late a.m. run. (2 + ε) x RU + 2 x HP + (1 – ε) x RU. Two hamstring twinges early, hamstring dullness late, otherwise run felt solid (especially after yesterday’s track workout). Hockey-kicked errant ball to lacrosse boys in HP, returned, “Great pace! Keep it up!”
- A.m. run. HP. Hamstring felt but nothing scary. Core workout post-run. (Legs lifted A-OK for all but supine plank.)
- Mid-p.m. run. SP(FWD). 2 mi @ GMP. Felt smooth. Older man w dog : “Great gait.”
- (Tune-up) Race day! Legs 2,3,4 of marathon relay. Alternated 2 mi @ GMP, 1 mi @ ~7:00. Body felt great, course felt small (!), admittedly happy to start that last lap, ran last full mile sub-6, finished out the race with a kick. “Great legs.” “Awesome legs.” “Smiling the whole time, and making it look easy.” No hamstring issues during or after run (though slight tweak after roof work Sunday), legs only faintly tired post-race and on Sunday. Great read heading into April.
- Rest day. Cleaned 1F gutters (lots of body-weight squats).
- Early p.m. run in HP. Mild fatigue cropped up in quads (race bites back!).
- Late p.m. run. Printed workout (5 x 1000 m) replaced original 5 x 1200 m @ 5kP. Ambitious pace (I felt, ex ante) set for 1000s: Held on (w G) for first two, heart pounding 400 m into third, dropped out, completed workout at slower pace. Times : 3:04, 3:08, DNF, 3:18, 3:18, 3:16. 7 mi post workout.
- Goal for workout : Get used to running on tired legs. Goal achieved! A.m. run : (2 + ε) x RU + 2 x HP + (1 – ε) x RU. Maintained moderate pace for first 8 miles or so. Backed off second half. Fatigue definitely registered, but able to run through A-OK. Handful of passing flashes in right hamstring (upper inside, same spot), but never lasted more than a stride. Legs felt tired but no muscle pulls, etc. stretching post-run.
- A.m. 1 x RU + 1 x RUIL. Gentle pace. Stretch and swim (~1000 m) post run.
- A.m. (1 – ε) x RU + 1 x HP + (1 – ε) x RU.
- Run w ACE, QAF, DS!^_^! 2h45m. Able to play with speed through the end, no muscle issues, felt good. Legs tired in afternoon.
- Moderate bike practice with a few hard efforts.
- A.m. (1 – ε) x RU + 1 x HP + ε x RU. Smooth.
- Another challenging and good track workout. Times (est) : 0:57, 1:57, 3:19, 3:59, 4:02, 3:25, 1:59, 0:54. Thought I followed suit with +100 m at end, but turns out G ran smart (and hard), starting from the top of the turn. Miles after felt long =P
- A.m. (2 + ε) x RU + 1 x HP + (1 – ε) x RU. Ran w Dr. J (knows PH) in HP. Legs fatigued, but smooth running.
- D-Day! A.m. 5/3 x RU. Easy to moderate pace throughout. Mild dullness at bottom of R hamstring, by knee. Swim w SW post-run; legs felt great after.
- BB @ RU (on another track).
- HSH -> 2 x BB -> 2/3 x RU. Sergei, BON Man, (and, ex post, AC — HBH 438 revelation), TIR runners (gift high-five), EO, Gabe. Felt great, fatigued last two miles, but able to push on fine. Quads noticeably fatigued next day.
- (1 – ε) x RU + HP + (1 – ε) x RU. Strides in HP. Upper legs fatigued, but OK to go; moderate pace throughout. Lower back ached more than usual in p.m.
- A.m. : 2 x 1k row, biceps + triceps, 2 x 50 inclined sit-ups w 25 lb. P.m. : Workout modified to 8 x 800 from original 3 x 1600 m @ 5kP w 50% – 90% rest btw. First 7 800s in 2:35 – 2:39, last in 2:31. Barely manageable workout — spot-on. Lots of encouragement from teammates. Strides w SW, LY; warm-down w VI, SW. Noticeable fatigue in the evening; slept very well =P
- Mid p.m. run RU. Kept it easy.
- A.m. run HP. Easy to moderate pace throughout. Post-run swim w JF, SW.
- Mid p.m. run RU + HP. “I used to be ripped like you.” “…I’m not ripped, dude.” Standard core routine post-run. Body feels great.
- Pre-dawn run w HH (a.k.a. QAF). MP -> RO -> 1 x MP. EO joins in RO. Most of run around 7:00 pace. BB & Speed Co., joined by…FL?! Encouraged 5k racers post-run. Biked RU -> 610 mid-day. Pizza B in evening (“I was so slow -_-“). Slept well (10 hours).
- Dull soreness in R lower back on waking. Mid-day : 2 x 1k row, light weights.
- Mid-a.m. run. RU + HP. Smooth, all systems go. Mild soreness in R lower back in p.m.
- 1600s : 5:47, 5:55, 5:50. Hot (though not humid) afternoon; would not have been able to hold that pace for even half marathon. Strode out on last two 400s. Felt smooth. Muscle check by JG post-workout. “You’re gonna crush it!”
- Mid-a.m. run. HP. Full core workout post-run. (Smoothies!)
- A.m. swim w JF. ~1500m.
- A.m. run HP.
- Mid-day run : JJ route around CR.
- Late afternoon run : JJ route around CR.
- Marathon Monday.
- Travel day.
- A.m. pool : Alternating 50 m supine streamline kick, 50 m moderately vigorous backstroke. P.m. pool : Same.
- A.m. run RU. Quads very tight. Rest of muscles felt OK. Strides very short, landing on toes. After two miles legs loosened up a little, strides still short, but able to land more mid-foot without feeling awkward. Very light stretching post run. In p.m., when seated, noticed can raise legs and move feet forward (small victories =P). Walking still stiff, down stairs still challenging.
- A.m. pool : 1000 m, alternating 50 m supine streamline kick, 50 m vigoroush backstroke. On waking, able to stand up without wall assistance. Walking more normal. Able to take down stairs forward, without hand rail. Quads still tender, but much stronger. No more balance scares (frequent on T and W, one or two on R).
- 1 x MP. Easy bike to, from MP. Breakfast w HH post-run. Quads still tender, stride short. Continue easy for next few days.
- Able to jog down steps. Mild soreness when standing from sit.
(Recovery continues under Marathon Training Plan : M2B (2019.05.26))