A page of links.
All-time top articles
- “The play deficit” by Peter Gray (Aeon, 2013-09-18).
- “The nuclear family was a mistake” by David Brooks (The Atlantic, 2020-03).
- “The ‘dating market’ is getting worse” by Ashley Fetters & Kaitlyn Tiffany (The Atlantic, 2020-02-25).
- “The Linux command line” (LinuxCommand.org).
- “Training and tutorials” (Linux.com).
- “Unix/Linux command reference” (FossWire.com)
- “Linux commands cheat sheet” (Linux Training Academy). I don’t recommend
- EagTac TX25C2 : Specifications.
- What is the difference between ‘protected’ and ‘unprotected’ 18650 batteries (Fenix). To wit: Always use protected [18650 Li-ion] batteries. As of January 2020, a single EagTac 18650 3500 mAh battery retails for about 18 USD (e.g., see retailers andrew_amanda_outdoors on ebay, Blue Ridge Gears on Walmart.com, and Longhorn Tactical).
- “The anatomy of a protected Li-ion battery” (Lygte-Info). This cool webpage explains and shows (with numerous photos) the protection features in a “protected” Li-ion battery.
- “Test/review of EagleTac 18650 3400 mAh (white-green)” (Candle Power Forums, 2008-03).
- “3.7 V 18650 protected 3400 mAh Li-ion battery” (EagTac). Specifications. In particular, note that like most batteries bearing the 18650 designation (nominally 18 mm diameter and 65 mm length), this battery is a bit larger (18.6 mm diameter and 68 mm length), due to the protection features. NOTE. The EagTac 3400 mAh battery appears to have been deprecated and replaced by a 3500 mAh version.
- Power to Choose — Public website; may not show all available plans
- Compare Power — Private website (providers pay to have certain plans appear here!); does not show all available plans
- Smart Meter Texas
- Reliant electricity bill estimator — Enter basic information about your home or apartment and receive a month-by-month estimate of your electricity use.
- Consumers Power Inc online use estimator — Enter information about the appliances in your home or apartment to receive an estimate of monthly electricity use.
Information Technology (IT)
- CompTIA certification
- “IT certification roadmap” (CompTIA).
- About CompTIA
- CompTIA A+ certification exam: Core 1 objectives
- CompTIA A+ certification exam: Core 2 objectives
- Professor Messer
- Professor Messer YouTube channel (YouTube)
- jisho : Online Japanese dictionary. Recognizes hand-drawn kanji.
- Kwiziq : (from their FAQs) “Kwiziq is a powerful A.I. software ‘language coach’ that intelligently helps you improve your language…” Reviews I’ve read [1,2] have been generally positive, though they note that the free subscription doesn’t grant enough access to use the site “seriously”.
- The greatest piano recordings ever (Arkiv Music)
- MuseScore. Free, open-source music-notation software.
- “Best music notation software of 2019“, by Billy Bommer (Top Ten Reviews, 2019-03-22).
- “Top 10 music notation apps“, by Stephanie Su (Music Advisor).
- “Fake checks” (US Federal Trade Commission).
- “The best free password managers of 2017“, by Neil J. Rubenking (PC Magazine).
- “The best [not-free] password managers of 2017“, by Neil J. Rubenking (PC Magazine).