Today’s selection of articles:
- “The market v the real economy” (The Economist, 2020-05-07). “There is little euphoria, just a despairing reach for the handful of businesses judged to be all-weather survivors.”
- “A perky stockmarket v a glum economy” (The Economist, 2020-05-07).
- “There is less trust between Washington and Beijing than at any point since 1979” (The Economist, 2020-05-09).
- “‘Once upon a virus’: China mocks U.S. in Lego-like animation” (Reuters, 2020-05-04). An English translation of the animation can be viewed on YouTube (posted by New China TV).
- “China’s military is tied to debilitating new cyberattack tool” by Ronen Bergman & Steven Lee Myers (NY Times, 2020-05-07).
- “Naikon APT: Cyber espionage reloaded” (Check Point Research, 2020-05-07).
- “Project CAMERASHY: Closing the aperture on China’s Unit 78020” by ThreatConnect Research Team (ThreatConnect, 2015-09-23).
- “How runners around the world are cooking in quarantine” by Becky Wade (Becky Runs Away, 2020-05-07). As Becky puts it, “a good excuse to check in with friends all over the world”…and share recipes to try.
- “Advice on life and creative integrity from Calvin and Hobbes creator Bill Watterson” by Maria Popova (Brain Pickings, 2013-05-20). Reflections (and “Calvin and Hobbes” comics) on Bill Waterson’s 1990 commencement address at Kenyon College.
- “Art talk: ‘Painting Edo’” (Harvard Art Museums, 2020-04-29). 10-minute film on early modern Japanese painting with Rachel Saunders, Abby Aldrich Rockefeller curator of Asian art.
- “Rice memories : Natalie Kirchhoff” by Natalie Kirchhoff (Rice Owls, 2020-05-05). “Looking back, I see the importance of humble confidence and grit. Being confident in one’s ability and having the willingness to persevere day in and day out and not loose hope…”
- “Rice memories : Lennie Waite” by Lennie Waite (Rice Owls, 2020-05-12). “[F]or the most part, I attached myself to my friends and the training came naturally. We were truly enjoying the process. The 2007 season taught me so many valuable lessons related to team cohesion, support, confidence, the importance of a growth mindset, and it instilled me with faith that the combination of hard work and enjoyment are unbeatable.”
- “The real Lord of the Flies: What happened when six boys were shipwrecked for 15 months” by Rutger Bregman (The Guardian, 2020-05-09).
- “China is happy to fill the leadership vacuum left by the U.S.” by Matthias Gebauer, Ralf Neukirch, René Pfister & Bernhard Zand (Spiegel, 2020-05-06).
- “The confessions of Marcus Hutchins, the hacker who saved the Internet” by Andy Greenberg (Wired, 2020-05-12).
- “The coming disruption” by James D. Walsh (Intelligencer).
- “Can the women and girls of a small Texas town take back the purity movement?” by Emma Specter (Vogue, 2020-05-14).
And for your (my? our?) sporting entertainment :
- “BBC’s Andrew Cotter commentates penguin parade on Australia’s Phillip Island” by Matilda Boseley (The Guardian, 2020-05-11).