Today’s selection of articles:
- “No, your kid shouldn’t get a gold star for reading“, by Pamela Paul (NY Times, 2019-08-30). The author argues that the role of parents is to nurture in their children internal motivation for reading. She does not discuss that external motivation can provide scaffolding within which internal motivation can be built.
- “Everything we know about exercise and depression“, by Brad Stulberg (Outside, 2019-09-11).
- “When silent films were a force for world peace“, by Ryan Jay Friedman (Zócalo, 2019-09-11).
- “Improving our relationship with failure“, by Steve Magness (The Passion Paradox, 2019-09-11). Our notion of success and failure is shaped by our expectations, comparisons, and goals. Coach Magness advocates setting process-oriented goals in addition to outcome-oriented ones.
- “Special briefing: Can Trump reverse a global recession“, by OZY editors (OZY, 2019-08-16).
- “ECB launches major stimulus package, cuts key rate“, by Tom Fairless (Wall Street Journal, 2019-09-12).