Today’s selection of articles:
- “Graduate student solves decades-old Conway knot problem” by Erica Klarreich (Quanta Magazine, 2020-05-19).
- “The world’s greatest coach is not who you think” by Joshua Robinson & Ben Cohen (Wall Street Journal, 2020-05-19). Water polo legend Ratko Rudic.
- “The mystical, mind-sharing lives of tulpamancers” by Katie Tandy (Narratively, 2019-12-12).
- “Jacinda Ardern sold a drastic lockdown with straight talk and mom jokes” by Damien Cave (NY Times, 2020-05-23).
- “Money and modern life” by Daniel Lopez (Aeon, 2020-05-25).
- “What is the difference between ‘metonymy’ and ‘synechdoche’?” (Merriam-Webster).
- “Till we have faces” (Wikipedia). A novel by C.S. Lewis and Joy Davidman (husband and wife).
- “Humpback whales have made a remarkable recovery, giving us hope for the planet” by Dr. Kirsten Thompson (Time, 2020-05-16).
- “Over 100 million in China’s northeast face renewed lockdown” (Bloomberg News, 2020-05-18).
- “Does contact tracing necessarily sacrifice privacy? (via Nicky Case)” by 3Blue1Brown (YouTube, 2020-05-14).
Good to know : HTML, LaTeX, and hyperreferences to particular pages of a pdf :
- “Create a URL to open a PDF file at a specific page” (Adobe).
- “# converting to %23 in links to external PDFs” (GitHub).
Also good to know : The meaning behind the lyrics of “Yankee Doodle” :
- “Why did Yankee Doodle call a feather ‘macaroni’?” (Merriam-Webster).